Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Slow Demise of the Futon Era

Between home and office I tug a wheeled briefcase. It makes me feel as if my life is together.

But it really isn't. It's not that I have too much going on, in fact it's the exact opposite. Between home and office I have a half dozen or so personal belongings (not counting clothing, shoes, personal items). It's not that I have too much going on at all, It's that I don't have enough going on.

But this is about to change...

Yesterday a recently ordered area rug arrived for my office. Today I am expecting to see two new lamps. And tomorrow *drum roll*  the moving van arrives outside my condo. Life is about to become a bit more normal, which will be an amazing relief.

Soon I will see familiar belongings and spend hours placing a single piece of furniture or hanging a long-loved painting. It will be heaven; my new life and world will begin to seem more like home.

In response to an email from me explaining my schedule this week (which will be arranged to accommodate boxes and furniture and moving help), my boss declared the end of the futon era. All I could think of as a response was "Praise be and hallelujah!"

It's been a very slow but sure transition from NM to VA, but it's finally coming to an end. And not a moment too soon. 

Once my things get here, I will feel more familiar and I will be able to pretend that I am home. 

I wonder if that will ever really happen again. Me at home. Maybe in another era.

For the next few days, I'm still in the futon era, preparing for whatever is next. 

Bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment