Thursday, August 12, 2010

Puddle Jumping in Heels

Take note. Black heeled pumps - so appropriate for the office - just don't work on the uneven sidewalks of DC in the middle of a storm. Puddle jumping in heels is not an Olympic sport, but it should be.

Let me backtrack a bit. This morning I woke up to thunder, lightening, dark skies and sheets of rain pounding on the drenched sidewalks two floors below my bedroom window. Following a near mid-life crisis of locking my keys in my condo (requiring a $251 visit from the local Arlington VA locksmith - a Sumo wrestler look-a-like with no fewer than 1000 keys dangling from his belt), the skies cleared just long enough for me to arrive at my office completely dry. Several monitor-staring hours later, it was time to head home, so I packed up and headed down to L Street only to find rain drops falling on my head, so I "did me some talkin' to the sun"...well, kind of. And for two blocks I implemented what I believe will become known as a best practice forward motion in a rainstorm. I did not wear my flip flops, remembering that they get slippery when wet. I did carry an umbrella to protect me AND my rolling briefcase from becoming drenched. And I paced myself, I didn't run or race down the sidewalk to beat the parking garage gate as I usually do.

I wore heels and jumped carefully over any puddles while maneuvering the uneven and flooded sidewalks of DC tugging a rolling briefcase behind me. Today was my first rain day and I prevailed. I think my attitude made all the difference (of course, I didn't really have a choice), and I owe that to Paul Newman and Robert Redford: Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

And so there you have it. Today I met a Sumo wrestler, felt rain drops on my head, talked to the sun, sang in the streets of our nation's capitol, went puddle jumping in heels and trained for the Olympics. All for the cause of freedom. How many people can say that?

Just another day in DC.  Tomorrow I'm buying galoshes.

No comments:

Post a Comment