Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Under Cover. Again.

As a born and bred Cali-girl, I am used to a lifetime of fretting over a pair of sandals, or which jeans to wear with what tank top. Here in DC, the land of coats and dagger-looks, it's all about winter wear. Coats, scarves and boots (which look rather odd when paired with shorts and a tank top - unless you are on the cover of People mag).

But, coats, boots and scarves it is; a new reason to go shopping! 


Black is the color of choice, unless something crazy and wild shouts out a demanding "I was made just for you!" from the much-looked-over racks and racks of wool and big buttons.

Bright colors are an option, and I have a shiny mustard raincoat to prove it, however it's a bit odd that when I put it on I feel very fashionable, but as I walk down the sidewalks of DC, passing women in tailored black wool coats which are flapping neatly around their laced and buckled black leather ankle boots, I lose that previous sense of vogue confidence. I don't feel sleek. I feel outlandish.

So, back to the "new reason for a shopping" trip, I go...mustard raincoat slung jauntily over my shoulder to hide my embarrassment, last year's ankle boots worn proudly beneath a tailored pant, and the California tank top neatly hidden beneath my denim jacket (a quasi-substitute for the jeans cut-offs I used to wear in my younger, thinner days).

I'm a Cali-girl with a love of blue jeans, tank tops, cowboy boots, sterling silver and turquoise. What can I say? 

Besides, black wool is the perfect partner for denim, don't you think? And you can wear turquoise at any age, and any size. 


Add a pair of black tights and I'm ready for winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment